Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UFC 224 Discussion thread

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,936 Times in 4,951 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JAX View Post
    I think you might be over rating Machida just a bit and yes Jacare-Gast could have went either way, hard to believe he is now basically the #1 contender at MW. And its hard to believe Pennington's corner sent her out after she said she was done, it would be different if the fight was 2-2 going into the fifth but she lost every round and needed a finish and she's not a finishing type fighter...just took blows to the head she didn't need.
    Maybe, maybe not on Machida but the fact that USADA stole a year of his career and we will never know what could have been. I still think Machida/Whittaker is a great fight
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

The trouble with our Liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.
    Ronald Reagan

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
    Ronald Reagan

Welcome to MMA Crypt Be sure to check out our RULES !

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,788 Times in 5,026 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Late to the party here, been doing stuff the last few days.

First up though, I thought this was a really good night of fights, plenty of action, finishes by sub and KO.

Nunes did what she does best, takes her opponents will. She didn't look all that spectacular this time, but I think it was partly due to Raquel's toughness. As for the controversy, I'm not so hung up on it as you guys seem to be. Yes, it's wrong to send out a fighter who quits, but we don't know the coach/fighter aspect of things, this could be something Raquel does a lot, and just needs encouraging to continue.......something you often hear about fighters. It did look really bad when she just got smashed afterwards though.

Kelvin is a hell of a curious fighter, he's got himself into contention with a good win but he really should be a REAL contender at 170, if he had an ounce of discipline in maintaining his weight better. He clearly lost the first round, and the next two seemed close but I had Kelvin winning them too. It seems a long time ago that Chris Weidman made him look like he had no business being at 185, huh? Oh, and Weidman, any chance you could ever be injury free!

Dern, well the unprofessional cheater managed to get the win.......force her to 125 next please.

John Lineker looked good, but his style will never bring title wins, not as long as guys like TJ, Cody, Cruz, DJ, etc are around.

Machida/Belfort was a terrible fight........till the KO, and what a spectacular KO it was, the faint to fool Belfort was sweet as hell. Still don't see Machida having any chance of beating the top guys in the division though.

Cezar Ferriera got the W over a guy he was handed to beat, good win though.

Oliynyk and the Ezekiel choke man, the dude sunk it in standing, falls to his back and finishes it off.......he's just great with this move, and low level HW's will always be susceptible to it too, wouldn't be too shocked to see him do this again.

Davi Ramos beat a tough Nick Hein with ease, good win.

Zaleski dos Santos, another wow moment here. Spectacular wheel kick disguised as a spinning backfist. This dude is really fun to watch and is now on a 5 fight win streak in the UFC, time for a step up.
    Women, Dinosaurs and Violence of the Octagon

Black Belt In Chickenheads!

If You're Gonna Be Dumb, You Gotta Be Tough!

We Are The People!

When I was an alien, cultures weren't opinions

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I see Dern lost 30% to Cooper plus 15% of her win Bonus
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

The trouble with our Liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.
    Ronald Reagan

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
    Ronald Reagan

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickass32 View Post
    I see Dern lost 30% to Cooper plus 15% of her win Bonus
    Yeah, still made cheating worthwhile though.

Also, how come this was still called a strawweight bout? Surely it's either catchweight or Flyweight?

We Are The People!

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BluenoseGreig View Post
    Yeah, still made cheating worthwhile though.

Also, how come this was still called a strawweight bout? Surely it's either catchweight or Flyweight?
    LOL......I think Cooper got 13K and change........small, very small penalty for Dern to only lose 13K
    Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    LOL......I think Cooper got 13K and change........small, very small penalty for Dern to only lose 13K
    Exactly, why bother going through a tough weight cut, if you can make the win easier for the loss of just a small chunk of your paycheck........doesn't affect any RB money, or any other outside endorsements.......not to mention, it pushes her career forward with another W, people don't look to see how that W came about.

We Are The People!

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BluenoseGreig View Post
    Exactly, why bother going through a tough weight cut, if you can make the win easier for the loss of just a small chunk of your paycheck........doesn't affect any RB money, or any other outside endorsements.......not to mention, it pushes her career forward with another W, people don't look to see how that W came about.
    Agreed. In a couple weeks it will have all been forgotten. People will know she won the fight but not that she was fucking 7 pounds over.
    Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Holy crap, just read speculation is that UFC 224 did only 85,000 buys, the worst PPV buyrate in over a decade

From the guy who broke the UFC partnership with ESPN back in April, TerezOwens is now reporting that according to sources UFC 224 is going to be the lowest selling pay-per-view that the company has produced in the last 10 years. Amanda Nunes’s last PPV performance at UFC 215 was largely speculated to have under preformed in regards to PPV purchases when she faced Valentina Shevchenko, and now the Brazilian Champion headlined an event in Rio which appears to have sold around 85,000 PPV buys.
    https://www.criscyborg.com/report-uf...l-100000-buys/
    Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan

Crypter
    Thanks
    Holy crap, just read speculation is that UFC 224 did only 85,000 buys, the worst PPV buyrate in over a decade

https://www.criscyborg.com/report-uf...l-100000-buys/
    FWIW I didn't even come close to talking my poker buddies into buying it.

$83.57 (CAD$) is too much for a card being headlined by Amanda Nunes where she's a 10-1 favorite.

Crypter
    Thanks
    Agreed. In a couple weeks it will have all been forgotten. People will know she won the fight but not that she was fucking 7 pounds over.
    I think the MMA fans will remember and all the chub will hurt her marketability ... and potential.

She's getting away with it for the moment, but I'm pretty sure this will all catch up to her. She's going to get hurt when she fights the elite if she doesn't take the game a little more serious.