Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UFC 224 Discussion thread

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,922 Times in 4,940 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tukh View Post
    FWIW I didn't even come close to talking my poker buddies into buying it.

$83.57 (CAD$) is too much for a card being headlined by Amanda Nunes where she's a 10-1 favorite.
    Is that what they are charging now????? Holy shit
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

The trouble with our Liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.
    Ronald Reagan

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
    Ronald Reagan

Welcome to MMA Crypt Be sure to check out our RULES !

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,784 Times in 5,022 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the MMA fans will remember and all the chub will hurt her marketability ... and potential.

She's getting away with it for the moment, but I'm pretty sure this will all catch up to her. She's going to get hurt when she fights the elite if she doesn't take the game a little more serious.
    But how many fans is that, 85k? Obviously I'm joking there, but MMA fans, and I mean those that will remember, will be fairly few.......the more casual fan, they won't know, or care.
    Women, Dinosaurs and Violence of the Octagon

Black Belt In Chickenheads!

If You're Gonna Be Dumb, You Gotta Be Tough!

We Are The People!

When I was an alien, cultures weren't opinions

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickass32 View Post
    Holy crap, just read speculation is that UFC 224 did only 85,000 buys, the worst PPV buyrate in over a decade

https://www.criscyborg.com/report-uf...l-100000-buys/
    That's absolutely brutal. It beggars belief that the UFC did nothing to promote the event though, there was a very interesting dynamic with there being the first ever title fight between 2 gay fighters, but nothing. The card really wasn't all that bad too, it was a fairly solid main card IMO, if not all that great.

We Are The People!

Crypter
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BluenoseGreig View Post
    But how many fans is that, 85k? Obviously I'm joking there, but MMA fans, and I mean those that will remember, will be fairly few.......the more casual fan, they won't know, or care.
    Agree ... maybe 85k fans will remember.

More long-term though.. Sure everyone forgets this, but in 3 years when she's fighting the elites and she's mailed in every effort along the way, she's going to get destroyed.

And for however marketable she is right now, she could be even higher if the effort was there.

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Agree ... maybe 85k fans will remember.

More long-term though.. Sure everyone forgets this, but in 3 years when she's fighting the elites and she's mailed in every effort along the way, she's going to get destroyed.

And for however marketable she is right now, she could be even higher if the effort was there.
    Agreed, she will be easy meat for the better girls in the division, and will always be unless she gets more professional about her job.

Marketability.......I'm not necessarily sure effort in her career needs to be there for that, just look at the Diaz bros. Sometimes a pathetic attitude to the sport, whilst having attitude and winning(sometimes!) is very marketable.

We Are The People!

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BluenoseGreig View Post
    That's absolutely brutal. It beggars belief that the UFC did nothing to promote the event though, there was a very interesting dynamic with there being the first ever title fight between 2 gay fighters, but nothing. The card really wasn't all that bad too, it was a fairly solid main card IMO, if not all that great.
    It was a terrible card on paper, in Brazil with zero promotion....now I'm not saying that if the UFC promoted the fuck out of this card it does 500K+ but they were promoting 225 leading up to this event more than they were the event itself. They dropped the ball bigtime in promoting this....2 or 3 different MMA media outlets talked about this leading up to the event, Luke Thomas did 2 or 3 segments on his show about how it's baffling the UFC didn't jump on the 2 lesbian fighters fighting for a championship thing
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

The trouble with our Liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.
    Ronald Reagan

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
    Ronald Reagan

Brotherhood
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,417 Times in 1,124 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It was a terrible card on paper, in Brazil with zero promotion....now I'm not saying that if the UFC promoted the fuck out of this card it does 500K+ but they were promoting 225 leading up to this event more than they were the event itself. They dropped the ball bigtime in promoting this....2 or 3 different MMA media outlets talked about this leading up to the event, Luke Thomas did 2 or 3 segments on his show about how it's baffling the UFC didn't jump on the 2 lesbian fighters fighting for a championship thing
    I'm willing to bet Nunes or Pennington just didn't want that to be highlighted. Didn't want to be treated differently maybe? I don't know, but any company would have done that and that's UFC included so I'm willing to bet there was some sort of issue from the fighters themselves with it.
    "Hard work pays off, dreams come true, bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!" - Scott Hall 2014

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hired_Merc View Post
    I'm willing to bet Nunes or Pennington just didn't want that to be highlighted. Didn't want to be treated differently maybe? I don't know, but any company would have done that and that's UFC included so I'm willing to bet there was some sort of issue from the fighters themselves with it.
    That is possible
    Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hired_Merc View Post
    That's a fair point, maybe it was an issue for them........but it's still strange.

We Are The People!

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    That's just it, this was the type of fight that should be raking in viewers who don't usually watch UFC/MMA.......with the correct promotion. Get both fighters on Ellen and shit like that, discuss how the UFC embraces women as equals amongst men in the sport, another completely unique aspect to the sport(no other sport does this really), and also talk about the UFC being an open place for people of all sexualities, religions, race, etc.......it's not rocket science.

We Are The People!