Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: UFC 230 discussion thread

Brotherhood
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 853 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BluenoseGreig View Post
    MMA and the UFC in particular sure as hell is not perfect, but I find it hard to accept that it's so much worse than it was 10 years ago. Conor has bred some trash talking, but just sitting here now, I can't actually think of anyone who really pushes it hard other than Conor himself.....or those who fight him, but once they've fought it's usually done. The rankings, Reebok, and all the other stuff is a joke......but is it really any worse than having Randy fight Toney, or Crocop fight Dos Caras, or Fedor/Crocop fight Nagata, hell Tito/Shammy 2 and 3 was ridiculous. The rankings suck, but at least they go some way to preventing shit like that......although sadly not enough. MMA has never been about respect, it could be and was for a lot, but it sure wasn't a standard that everyone were bound by and all stuck to...….just like today.
    Yeah, while there were circus freak fights they were just that, freak fights and everyone knew they were horseshit fights. Colby Covington comes to mind and I’m sure there are tons more but I don’t follow as closely anymore to know the names, but the point is everyone is using shit talking to move up cause it worked for Chael, it worked especially well for Conor, and now it’s Modus Operandi for every up and coming fighter who wants to cut to the front of the line! 10 years ago it was about the fights because they had sponsors to make up the difference in pay. Now it’s the Reebok scale and no way to make extra cash on the side to help out so everyone fights to win not to fight put on a good fight. I don’t know, it just doesn’t feel right anymore. It’s off. I’ll watch, but not like before where I had to watch as much as I could. Who knows? Maybe it’s just me?
    Quote Originally Posted by Misfit View Post
    God I would love to pee in her butt.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cisco For This Useful Post:

BluenoseGreig (11-28-2018)

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,788 Times in 5,026 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cisco View Post
    Yeah, while there were circus freak fights they were just that, freak fights and everyone knew they were horseshit fights. Colby Covington comes to mind and I’m sure there are tons more but I don’t follow as closely anymore to know the names, but the point is everyone is using shit talking to move up cause it worked for Chael, it worked especially well for Conor, and now it’s Modus Operandi for every up and coming fighter who wants to cut to the front of the line! 10 years ago it was about the fights because they had sponsors to make up the difference in pay. Now it’s the Reebok scale and no way to make extra cash on the side to help out so everyone fights to win not to fight put on a good fight. I don’t know, it just doesn’t feel right anymore. It’s off. I’ll watch, but not like before where I had to watch as much as I could. Who knows? Maybe it’s just me?
    It's definitely not just you, lots of people seem to feel the same way......I just don't see it. I'm not as heavily into the sport as I was a few years back, when I'd watch every pre fight video/promo, go into every MMA site to check news etc...….now I hardly ever watch any promo stuff, if at all, and get most of my news by listening to podcasts rather than going to sites. But I think it's more of me just getting older and having less time for it, than the sport changing from what I once enjoyed. To me, it's almost exactly as it was but with no real stars in the sport any more, mostly because the UFC have given up on actual promotion and have become content providers. That's the only real shift in the sport I see. Oh...….and I totally forgot about Covington......kinda suggests his shit aint working! Hahaha!
    Women, Dinosaurs and Violence of the Octagon

Black Belt In Chickenheads!

If You're Gonna Be Dumb, You Gotta Be Tough!

We Are The People!

When I was an alien, cultures weren't opinions

Welcome to MMA Crypt Be sure to check out our RULES !

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BluenoseGreig For This Useful Post:

Cisco (12-08-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BluenoseGreig View Post
    It's definitely not just you, lots of people seem to feel the same way......I just don't see it. I'm not as heavily into the sport as I was a few years back, when I'd watch every pre fight video/promo, go into every MMA site to check news etc...….now I hardly ever watch any promo stuff, if at all, and get most of my news by listening to podcasts rather than going to sites. But I think it's more of me just getting older and having less time for it, than the sport changing from what I once enjoyed. To me, it's almost exactly as it was but with no real stars in the sport any more, mostly because the UFC have given up on actual promotion and have become content providers. That's the only real shift in the sport I see. Oh...….and I totally forgot about Covington......kinda suggests his shit aint working! Hahaha!

I haven't bought or gone to a full fight card party since Conor/Alverez which was like 2.5 years ago or some shit. I watch everything on MMAshare.com now, and it's almost always only two fights or maybe three fights every now and then if I'm lucky from a card. UFC is a total disaster unfortunately.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red Tex For This Useful Post:

Cisco (12-08-2018),Washed Up (12-05-2018)

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,938 Times in 4,953 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Tex View Post
    I haven't bought or gone to a full fight card party since Conor/Alverez which was like 2.5 years ago or some shit. I watch everything on MMAshare.com now, and it's almost always only two fights or maybe three fights every now and then if I'm lucky from a card. UFC is a total disaster unfortunately.
    I'm the exact same way....the last card I saw from start to finish was Dillashaw/Garbrandt II and that's because my son and I went to the pub to watch...before that I can't recall the last time. MMAshare is where I watch the fights the next day and even that it's only a handful I'll watch
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

The trouble with our Liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.
    Ronald Reagan

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
    Ronald Reagan

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kickass32 For This Useful Post:

Cisco (12-08-2018)

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,788 Times in 5,026 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Tex View Post
    I agree, the UFC have completely lost their way with building cards, and promotion......they are truly awful at it these days. But for smack talking etc, it's not any different than it's ever been.
    Women, Dinosaurs and Violence of the Octagon

Black Belt In Chickenheads!

If You're Gonna Be Dumb, You Gotta Be Tough!

We Are The People!

When I was an alien, cultures weren't opinions