Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UFC on FOX 31 Discussion Thread

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,995 Times in 5,001 Posts
    Blog Entries

UFC on FOX 31 Discussion Thread

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

The trouble with our Liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.
    Ronald Reagan

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
    Ronald Reagan

Welcome to MMA Crypt Be sure to check out our RULES !

Brotherhood
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,321 Times in 882 Posts
    Caught a few of the fights, definitely some good stuff...

One of the comments a lot of us make from time to time is some of the no-name guys turning up on these lesser cards. I admittedly have not been as active a fan of late, can't say I remember ever hearing of Jared Gordon or Joaquim Silva, but hot-damn, these guys had a hell of a brawl. Toe to toe action, tons of firepower going both ways, and they just wouldn't quit. Silva ended up getting the stoppage, but what a great fight from two guys I assume are un-ranked.

Esdson Barboza/Dan Hooker was a real donnybrook too. Barboza just put on a striking clinic, as Hooker had little or no wrestling/ground game to show, and Edson took him apart piece by piece. Dan Hooker has to be one of the toughest guys I've ever seen, taking shots to the body that would kill a lot of guys, and coming forward. Barboza loaded up some spinning back kicks that were awesome, and hit tons of leg kicks that will have to leave Hooker limping for a week. Cormier was saying the fight should be stopped, and I couldn't disagree, as it was way past the point Hooker could have won other than by miracle KO, and he was taking heavy damage. Barboza eventually got the stoppage, and should be on to higher ranked opponents, of which there are only a handful, but at least one of them is the most dominant wrestler out there, who already crushed Edson in a previous bout.

Congratulations to Al Iaquinta on a virtually flawless performance. Al was able to work his way out of danger the few times Lee caught him on the ground, making his way back to his feet and escaping a couple close sub attempts. Rounds four and five saw Iaquinta impose a boxing lesson on Kevin Lee, who I think let his mouth get ahead of his skill set leading up to this fight. Lee is a good athlete and has good fights ahead of him, but will have to go back to the drawing board and work on some of the things Iaquinta was successful at, head movement, slipping punches, and returning fire with counter shots. Lee definitely had a wrestling edge, but grappling is hard work, and it looked like his endurance was not up to continued work on the mat as they went into the championship rounds. Good fight, and a good win for Iaquinta.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mu_Shin For This Useful Post:

Kickass32 (12-16-2018)

Brotherhood
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,354 Times in 1,102 Posts
    I surprised as well at the punishment Hooker took and also surprised at how weak his punches were, basically aiming arm punches but that also could have been because of the body shots as well as the early leg kicks which took Hooker out of the fight early on. Having a straight up standup fight with Barboza isn't the best idea as most of his loses were against grapplers.

And Al surprised me as well on how slick he was with his boxing and even his defensive grappling was on point, This puts Al in a good position for a top 5 fight depending on what Conor is going to do Maybe Al-Poirier for next in line until Kabib thing gets worked out.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JAX For This Useful Post:

Mu_Shin (12-16-2018)

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Only watched the main event. VERY close 1st round is what likely decided the fight....that round could have gone either way IMO. Sounded like a judge gave Iaquinta a 4th round which I have to assume was the 3rd....questionable. Great fight non the less and a good showing from Al who in the past hasn't shown the best fight IQ in the world but he sure did last night
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

The trouble with our Liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.
    Ronald Reagan

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
    Ronald Reagan

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kickass32 For This Useful Post:

Mu_Shin (12-16-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mu_Shin View Post
    Congratulations to Al Iaquinta on a virtually flawless performance.
    You just took the art of sensationalism to the extreme here.

Yes, he had a very strong performance and got a win to elevate him but a close fight is now being called a virtually flawless performance? You sound like Joe Rogan now when he's going off the rails. He got tagged a ton in that fight and was taken down and dragged around on his back for a while twice. It was anything but flawless. It was a great performance considering the fact of how good Lee is, but flawless is what Conor did to Alvarez or what Anderson did to Forrest Griffin or what Jon Jones did to Matt Hammill.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Red Tex For This Useful Post:

Mu_Shin (12-18-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickass32 View Post
    Only watched the main event. VERY close 1st round is what likely decided the fight....that round could have gone either way IMO. Sounded like a judge gave Iaquinta a 4th round which I have to assume was the 3rd....questionable. Great fight non the less and a good showing from Al who in the past hasn't shown the best fight IQ in the world but he sure did last night
    So now that AI has taken a big nice two steps forward, what will he do to derail his career again? Every time this guy takes two steps forward, he takes a large leap backwards by destroying a hotel room or going ape shit all over the media about how much he hates the UFC business structures or how productive he can become as a real estate agent and his hype and opportunities all end up dissolving until he gets his head on straight again. I love watching his fights and he can be a good character for fans when he's not all emotional and self destructing but he always seems to be his own worst enemy career wise.

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,824 Times in 5,056 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Late to the party here, but it was a really good night of fights all round, only really the Ottow/Grant fight sucked.

I thought Iaquinta looked great, won the fight with relative ease after losing I think it was round 2 mostly due to being held on the ground, I thought he won every other round. Lee just could not cope with Al when he used his jab and combinations.

Hooker is one tough bastard! I thought he had a few moments where he looked like he made Barboza hurt, but mostly Edson just pieced him up with some seriously good striking everywhere.

Sergio Pettis is gonna struggle real bad if he chooses to stick around at 135, he's just far too small. Font did look very good though.

Charles Oliveira is a strange dude, when he looks good he looks almost unbeatable...….then he fights someone just a step above and he looks terrible. Great finish here though.

Ottow/Grant, close fight, little action...…

Drakkar Klose won a very close fight, but a very good fight too. Bobby Green has a habit of losing close fights.

Like Mu said, Silva vs Gordon was a really good fight, Gordon looking like he had the fight won, till Silva came back and finished him in the 3rd. Worth a watch for anyone who didn't catch this.

Jack Hermansson is another guy who seems to beat the lower level guys easily but just can't make the jump to the top guys yet. Someone like Jotko or Cannonier next would be a good fight.

Cummings/Smith wasn't great but not bad, close fight again.

Ige/Griffin was another real fun fight, both guys landing hard with Ige coming out on top.
    Women, Dinosaurs and Violence of the Octagon

Black Belt In Chickenheads!

If You're Gonna Be Dumb, You Gotta Be Tough!

We Are The People!

When I was an alien, cultures weren't opinions

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Tex View Post
    You just took the art of sensationalism to the extreme here.

Yes, he had a very strong performance and got a win to elevate him but a close fight is now being called a virtually flawless performance? You sound like Joe Rogan now when he's going off the rails. He got tagged a ton in that fight and was taken down and dragged around on his back for a while twice. It was anything but flawless. It was a great performance considering the fact of how good Lee is, but flawless is what Conor did to Alvarez or what Anderson did to Forrest Griffin or what Jon Jones did to Matt Hammill.
    Jones was flawless in a losing performance????
    Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Tex View Post
    So now that AI has taken a big nice two steps forward, what will he do to derail his career again? Every time this guy takes two steps forward, he takes a large leap backwards by destroying a hotel room or going ape shit all over the media about how much he hates the UFC business structures or how productive he can become as a real estate agent and his hype and opportunities all end up dissolving until he gets his head on straight again. I love watching his fights and he can be a good character for fans when he's not all emotional and self destructing but he always seems to be his own worst enemy career wise.
    Usually yes....but Al has never really looked better than since he decided he doesn't really need the UFC because of his real estate business.....will he self destruct??? maybe, that is a real possibility, but he does SEEM to be much better since he realized he can do fine without them
    Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan

Brotherhood
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,354 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickass32 View Post
    Jones was flawless in a losing performance????
    I thought Hamill was dead after the fight ended, and he was laying there with his eyeballs filled with blood, so technicalities aside yes.