Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: UFC Fight Night 143 Thread

Brotherhood
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,317 Times in 881 Posts
    Haven't seen any coverage of last night's event, but I just watched Cejudo/Dillishaw and as much as I always try and deflect comments in the extreme negative, what a bad call for a championship fight. Never been a fan of Cejudo, props to him on improved power in his striking game, but come on man, you don't call a championship fight when the challenger is still obviously defending himself. Yeah, TJ got clipped, and he was in a bad spot, but that was way too quick a stoppage in my opinion. TJ deserved a better chance to recover and continue, but the ref jumped the gun and made the decision for us. How many times had Frankie Edgar taken way more damage than that, and come back to win? Not a good call, way too early, and they should unquestionably do that one again...

Just watched Van Zant/Ostovich. What a good example of how far the women's game has come. Serious technical scramble in round one, which I would have given to Ostovich, good ground work from both fighters, and Rachael clipped Paige with a pretty good overhand right. Looked like Paige was walking in to another difficult round when she got hit again and then taken down, but she turned the tide with good technique and applied killer pressure to the arm, getting a stoppage. Good fight...

Watched Cerrone/Hernandez. Saw some of the press conference yesterday where this kid was playing the trash talk game with an experienced veteran, a la McGregor, whatever, but he just got shellacked... Can we just crown Donald Cerrone "King of the Combination"? That guy starts putting together strings of punches, knees, elbows, and kicks, and it just doesn't stop. Not sure where Cerrone is relative to the rest of the division, don't know if he can be more than the fighting journeyman he's been, but looked to me like Hernandez was faster, more athletic, obviously younger, but the veteran took it all in stride, ate a couple shots but stayed focused, and closed in for the kill. Great win for Cowboy, and hopefully a lesson for a brash young upstart: you can talk all you want, but when push comes to shove, it's time to shut up and fight.

Watched some press conference stuff, Dana White agreeing with horrible stoppage on Cejudo/TJ. Dillishaw was all class, congratulated Cejudo on the win, but almost came to tears saying he didn't lose, worked for 12 weeks to make the weight and chase a dream. TJ said he did get clipped, but was hit much harder in the first Cody Garbarant fight, was not hurt in this fight. As I said above, Frankie Edgar took much more damage than TJ did and came back to win more than once. 125 lbs is obviously a troubled division, no one knows what's going to happen, but I think they should give Dillishaw a chance to rematch at 125.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mu_Shin For This Useful Post:

Kickass32 (Yesterday)

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,821 Times in 5,053 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickass32 View Post
    Any of those pills "tainted"
    Haha, I must admit though, using so many it's surely a hell of a risk to take.
    Women, Dinosaurs and Violence of the Octagon

Black Belt In Chickenheads!

If You're Gonna Be Dumb, You Gotta Be Tough!

We Are The People!

When I was an alien, cultures weren't opinions

Welcome to MMA Crypt Be sure to check out our RULES !

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,821 Times in 5,053 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mu_Shin View Post
    Haven't seen any coverage of last night's event, but I just watched Cejudo/Dillishaw and as much as I always try and deflect comments in the extreme negative, what a bad call for a championship fight. Never been a fan of Cejudo, props to him on improved power in his striking game, but come on man, you don't call a championship fight when the challenger is still obviously defending himself. Yeah, TJ got clipped, and he was in a bad spot, but that was way too quick a stoppage in my opinion. TJ deserved a better chance to recover and continue, but the ref jumped the gun and made the decision for us. Not a good call, way too early, and they should unquestionably do that one again...
    I didn't think it was a great call, but I don't see it as terrible if I'm honest. TJ wasn't really defending himself, but he didn't look out of it......but intelligent defence is needed and it seemed like he had stopped that to me. Only watched it once though, I may need to check it out again.
    Women, Dinosaurs and Violence of the Octagon

Black Belt In Chickenheads!

If You're Gonna Be Dumb, You Gotta Be Tough!

We Are The People!

When I was an alien, cultures weren't opinions

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BluenoseGreig For This Useful Post:

Mu_Shin (Yesterday)

Brotherhood
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,423 Times in 1,128 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It was a good stoppage. Yeah TJ could have moved more to recover, but Cejudo was clearly still throwing punches and was rolling with the wrestling scrambles, would have just gotten worse for TJ. He was hurting and taking damage quickly, good stoppage.
    "Hard work pays off, dreams come true, bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!" - Scott Hall 2014

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hired_Merc For This Useful Post:

Kickass32 (Yesterday),Mu_Shin (Yesterday)

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,989 Times in 4,998 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'll have to disagree with Mu, sorry. To me, the stoppage may have been a tad early but just barely....and I'm one who always thinks fights are stopped early. T.J for a second when the fight was stopped was combating the ref, he was clueless as to what happened, now he did snap back quickly but I believe had the fight not been stopped, 10 seconds more and Dillashaw is out......Yes Frankie Edgar endured massive amounts of punishment and was able to come back but A/is that smart to allow fighters to take that much punishment and B/there aren't many fighters like Edgar out there. I've never really been a TJ fan but last night made me hate him, he acted like a little bitch IMO...the "I didn't lose, I had it taken away from me" line is B.S....you lost get over it and move on...same B.S when Cruz beat him....he's a baby when he loses and I hate it.
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

The trouble with our Liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.
    Ronald Reagan

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
    Ronald Reagan

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kickass32 For This Useful Post:

Mu_Shin (Yesterday),Washed Up (Yesterday)

Brotherhood
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,317 Times in 881 Posts
    Will agree to disagree. Just watched it five more times, and TJ was clearly conscious, trying to work, and should have been allowed to continue. As much as we always argue about fighter safety and the context of a championship match, all of us have watched hundreds of fights, and still have disparate opinions about what we see. No question in my mind that fight should have been allowed to continue to a definitive ending.

Cormier was saying at the time that sometimes a fighter has to be saved from himself, and there have been cases where that was obviously true, but I don't believe this was one of them. Given another ten, twenty seconds, maybe you guys are right, maybe Cejudo continues to deliver punishment and earns a stoppage, but where the ref jumped in, that's not what I saw, especially after repeated viewing. Looked to me like TJ got right up and protested, as he said in the press conference afterward, saying he wasn't hurt. Obviously he was down and had been hit, but we've all seen more egregious damage in fights that were allowed to continue, and there are many examples of comeback wins after a rough start. Yes, I've always been a Dillishaw fan, but also have always been a fight fan, plain and simple. Don't often contest what happens in the cage, it usually is what it is, but this time I thought the ref jumped the gun.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mu_Shin For This Useful Post:

Kickass32 (Yesterday)

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,989 Times in 4,998 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mu_Shin View Post
    Will agree to disagree. Just watched it five more times, and TJ was clearly conscious, trying to work, and should have been allowed to continue. As much as we always argue about fighter safety and the context of a championship match, all of us have watched hundreds of fights, and still have disparate opinions about what we see. No question in my mind that fight should have been allowed to continue to a definitive ending.

Cormier was saying at the time that sometimes a fighter has to be saved from himself, and there have been cases where that was obviously true, but I don't believe this was one of them. Given another ten, twenty seconds, maybe you guys are right, maybe Cejudo continues to deliver punishment and earns a stoppage, but where the ref jumped in, that's not what I saw, especially after repeated viewing. Looked to me like TJ got right up and protested, as he said in the press conference afterward, saying he wasn't hurt. Obviously he was down and had been hit, but we've all seen more egregious damage in fights that were allowed to continue, and there are many examples of comeback wins after a rough start. Yes, I've always been a Dillishaw fan, but also have always been a fight fan, plain and simple. Don't often contest what happens in the cage, it usually is what it is, but this time I thought the ref jumped the gun.
    Fair enough, we saw things differently.
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

The trouble with our Liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.
    Ronald Reagan

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
    Ronald Reagan

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kickass32 For This Useful Post:

Mu_Shin (Yesterday)