Thread: Presser for UFC 235

Brotherhood
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,346 Times in 898 Posts

Presser for UFC 235

Checked out the press event previous to UFC 235.

Always get some kind of feeling when I see guys lined up against one another. Just saw Robbie Lawler standing on stage with Ben Askren, and was a little surprised that Askren is definitely the bigger fighter. Robbie looks a lot more athletic, but Askren is taller, heavier in the body, and just generally a bigger dude.

Absolutely looking forward to this fight, as Askren's UFC debut has been a long time coming. Read that Lawler is coming off ACL surgery and a 15 month layoff. Wishing Robbie had not been injured and had been more active, as Ben Askren at 18-0 presents a real challenge, but just looked it up, Askren will not have fought for about sixteen months by the time they get to the cage, so neither fighter has been dramatically active. ACL recovery is a tough one, but Lawler has always been a very tough opponent, and I hope his well rounded style will prove competitive with Askren's smothering wrestling game.

I've never seen Kamaru Usman fight, but he looks huge for 170. Woodley has always appeared really solid and very muscular, but Usman looks big for 185, let alone welterweight. They were verbally sparring pretty well at the press conference, but standing together on stage, hard not to notice a serious disparity in height, reach, as well as how much thicker Usman appears. Just read Usman's profile, and apparently he was an NCAA Division II national champion wrestler, but I think we all know Tyron has deep wrestlng skills as well. Usman has a majority of decisions on his recent record, so this one looks pretty good on paper.

Anthony Smith has extensive experience, just read his profile and he's 31-13, and he's beaten some decent fighters in the UFC, but I don't see anything in his record that's telling me he has a prayer against Jon Jones. Maybe he'll shake up the world and shock us all, but I kind of doubt it...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mu_Shin For This Useful Post:

Kickass32 (02-01-2019)

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,187 Times in 955 Posts
    I hate this Robbie fight, I see it as being the Robbie of the old and a guy laying on him for 5 rounds. Robbie has gotten better at defending the takedown but Askren is a different level. They should have given Askren a guy that can somewhat hold his own on the ground. Hmmmm, only if wasn't suspended til 2021...
    Don't call it a comeback...

Brotherhood
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,448 Times in 1,172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Misfit View Post
    I hate this Robbie fight, I see it as being the Robbie of the old and a guy laying on him for 5 rounds. Robbie has gotten better at defending the takedown but Askren is a different level. They should have given Askren a guy that can somewhat hold his own on the ground. Hmmmm, only if wasn't suspended til 2021...
    I think almost everybody agrees, just poor UFC matchmaking or they are trying to get Askren a big name win as Robbie isprob getting closer to the end anyhow.