Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UFC on ESPN 1 discussion thread

Brotherhood              2014 GHOST
    Thanks
    FOTN I believe

Quote Originally Posted by Mu_Shin View Post
    Luque/Barbarena, WOW, tons of action both ways...

WOW, what a finish for Luque... just under 300 significant strikes landed in this fight... great win....
    Just because I can NEVER remember how to score my points!
    6 points for winning fighter, then another 2 if you guess the method, then another 2 if you guess the round

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Washed Up For This Useful Post:

Mu_Shin (02-18-2019)

Brotherhood
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 897 Posts
    Kron Gracie makes the family proud... like a fucking boa constrictor... Nate Diaz in his corner...

what a pedigree: son of Rickson, nephew of Royce, and grandson of the Grand Master, Helio Gracie...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mu_Shin For This Useful Post:

Washed Up (02-18-2019)

Brotherhood
    Thanks
    Home boy Paul Felder!!!

Brotherhood
    Thanks
    So incredibly disappointing...

Hope Velasquez retires if he did just blow out a knee. The guy can't spend 10 minutes in the cage without getting hurt...

Ngannou did't hit Cain that hard, didn't look like a killer shot. Have seen the replay, just saw it again, does look like Cain's knee just gave out. Now Cain is saying he did get hit, and seeing the replay, there was a shot there, but Cain was grimacing in pain, something happened with his knee...

Brotherhood
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 1,134 Posts
    It wasnt a clean shot but there was a few glancing shots and it was Francis who basically forced Cain down which spread his legs the wrong way, too bad the fight was so quick wanted to see how Cain could do....but fighting a guy like Francis it doesnt take much of a mistake and its over. Not sure that was a fight Cain should have taken after being out so long but I guess he wants to get to the top quick.

I doubt Cain wants to go out like that, hopefully the knee isnt too bad and he can get another fight with someone inside the top 10.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JAX For This Useful Post:

BluenoseGreig (02-19-2019),Mu_Shin (02-20-2019),Washed Up (02-18-2019)

Brotherhood
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,428 Times in 1,132 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Cain 100% got rocked and hurt badly THEN he hurt his knee on the landing, he was hit with a right uppercut short but tons of power behind it. Cain got beat, and blew his knee out after getting hurt.

Better angle https://streamable.com/fav4v

What's the excuse this time boys? Someone look into the sea level.
    "Hard work pays off, dreams come true, bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!" - Scott Hall 2014

Brotherhood
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 1,134 Posts
    That angle shows it was def the upper cut then another short shot after. Francis is a scary man when he wants to be.

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,867 Times in 5,095 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JAX View Post
    It wasnt a clean shot but there was a few glancing shots and it was Francis who basically forced Cain down which spread his legs the wrong way, too bad the fight was so quick wanted to see how Cain could do....but fighting a guy like Francis it doesnt take much of a mistake and its over. Not sure that was a fight Cain should have taken after being out so long but I guess he wants to get to the top quick.

I doubt Cain wants to go out like that, hopefully the knee isnt too bad and he can get another fight with someone inside the top 10.
    Yeah, Cain got hit and the knee got hurt......whatever way it's looked at, he lost and he lost because of Ngannou.

I agree with your point too, there is no way Cain should have been in there with Francis coming off a near 3 year injury lay off. It's time for MMA fighters to take a bit from boxing, and take tune up fights. Now they don't need to be fighting complete cans, but go the Cerrone route(he's the only guy who actually does this, albeit by just trying to remain active and not being choosy over whom he fights), and just fight guys who are not quite elite...…..the Stefan Struve and the Chase Sherman type of guys.
    Women, Dinosaurs and Violence of the Octagon

Black Belt In Chickenheads!

If You're Gonna Be Dumb, You Gotta Be Tough!

We Are The People!

When I was an alien, cultures weren't opinions

Welcome to MMA Crypt Be sure to check out our RULES !

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,867 Times in 5,095 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Didn't get a chance to watch all the fights till last night, so went internet silent to avoid spoilers for a long time!

I really enjoyed this whole card though, ending with Ngannou showing that you don't need to abandon your striking and become a wrestler to be elite. He screwed up for the Miocic fight by training in the US exclusively and trying to become too proficient in wrestling, and kinda neglecting his biggest asset. He did similar for the Derrick Lewis fight, was working with coaches in the US who made him more concerned with what his opponent could do, than what he can do. So he went back to France, and his last 2 fights have got him back to what he does best. He just needs good footwork and clinch skill to negate wrestling, and confidence that he doesn't need to worry about his opponent too. The results speak for themselves, he's a killer when he trusts in himself.

Felder looked good, but is likely too hittable to ever become a top 5 guy...….that said, I do want to see the winner of Gaethje/Barboza take up his challenge. Vick has skill, but the dude is killing himself with the weight cut, move up man.

Calvillo/Casey was a close fight, and a decent if not great fight. Love the Suarez callout by Calvillo, that's as ballsy as it gets, because nobody wants to fight Tatiana.

Bruce Leeroy always seems to beat himself. He has more than enough ability to be able to pick Kron apart standing, but seems to Stefan Struve it by not using his jab/reach to keep Kron at range...….and when Kron gets a hold of you, he'll do what Maia has done for years. Good win on his debut, and look forward to his next bout...….Ryan Hall please.

Luque/Barbarena…….wow! What a fight this was, a definite FOTY contender. I've like Luque since he was on TUF, thought he underperformed on there, but since then he's looked great but went way under the radar, whereas castmate Kamaru Usman has risen fast. Barbarena took some serious shots during the fight and kept coming forward landing combinations for fun on Luque, it had everything this fight, even a very late stoppage. Great win for Luque.

Miles Jury doesn't seem to know when he's losing! He seemed far too happy to just let this fight get away from him. Fili did look very good though, and is definitely improving in every fight.

Aljo finally seems to be fulfilling his early potential. He looked very good again here and basically completely shut down Jimmie Rivera, which is not easy to do.

Bermudez needs a step up in competition now, he beat Lopez with very little effort. His submission skills seem legit, but how will they work on someone close to being ranked, that's what we need to see now...….and making weight too!

Andrea Lee seems to have made big strides in her development too. She has looked good in her previous fights, but her boxing looks really good now, she beat Smith badly here. Big fight next for Lee I would imagine, possible title eliminator.

Lentz/Holtzmann, typical Nik Lentz fight really, scrappy and could have went either way!
    Women, Dinosaurs and Violence of the Octagon

Black Belt In Chickenheads!

If You're Gonna Be Dumb, You Gotta Be Tough!

We Are The People!

When I was an alien, cultures weren't opinions

Welcome to MMA Crypt Be sure to check out our RULES !

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BluenoseGreig For This Useful Post:

BigDawg_04 (02-19-2019),Mu_Shin (02-20-2019)

Brotherhood
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,428 Times in 1,132 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hired_Merc View Post
    Cain 100% got rocked and hurt badly THEN he hurt his knee on the landing, he was hit with a right uppercut short but tons of power behind it. Cain got beat, and blew his knee out after getting hurt.

Better angle https://streamable.com/fav4v

What's the excuse this time boys? Someone look into the sea level.
    To clarify this part, it's a shot at the meme that Cain has become.

Also, I loved Gracie getting the win. Hopefully continues to win.
    "Hard work pays off, dreams come true, bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!" - Scott Hall 2014